We know first-hand the foot problems caused by the use of safety knee high boots. So, especially the one that they give you in the company out of obligation, yes that one so heavy and with an iron tip, yes that one that you end the days lame and with want to rip them off.
Table of Contents.
Although we no longer use them because we have changed jobs. That is why we try not to make the same thing happen to other people, because of ignorance that there is another safety footwear much more comfortable, light, and accessible (economically) or because they simply settle (like me) and then regret not having taken the appropriate measures to remedy it.
Main Problems with the Use of Safety knee high boots:
- In people with flat feet, it causes muscle fatigue.
- Boots do not perspire well, increasing sweating and the risk of fungal and bacterial infection.
- The weight of the boots and the hours of work and if you walk a lot with them as was my case, they cause pain in the heel, heaviness in the legs, and what to say about calluses and abrasions.
- The rigidity of the footwear and the metal of the toecap do not allow the anatomical movement of the foot apart, also constricting the toes and causing alterations in the nails.
- Above all, if you smoke, everything becomes more complicated since it affects blood circulation and dehydration of the skin, which makes it a risk factor for the appearance of calluses on the soles of the feet.
9 Tips to avoid these problems of knee high boots
- Use it if it can be in the boots that you choose natural materials for better breathability.
- Air your work boots every day.
- Use antiperspirants to avoid humidity and infections.
- Choose a boot that is wide enough to allow you to move your toes well.
- If you use insoles I advise you to also use them with safety footwear.
- Choose a less heavy and more flexible boot that allows bending in the front third of the sole.
- Continually practice toe flexion and extension exercises as you work to help relax your muscles.
- You can cut the nails straight and round them with a file at the corners to avoid “ingrown nails” (nails dig into the feet)
- If you have discomfort, visit your nearest podiatrist.
Thanks to the latest advances and the fact that studies have been carried out on Safety Footwear. So, they have been greatly optimized with very good results. Using materials such as composite or fiberglass in the toecap, the following results have been achieved (remember that health in your feet begins with good footwear).
Main advantages of Metal-free Safety Footwear:
- Greater flexion and therefore the correct movement of the foot.
- Having high lightness since the materials are lighter.
- Greater thermal insulation than steel, since composites such as fiberglass tend to be materials that insulate better, achieving a significant improvement.
- Better response to crushing since the material recovers its shape after impact, thus facilitating the exit of the foot.
- Much more comfort and less fatigue on the legs and feet since the material is lighter and more flexible.
- Generally, safety footwear without metal (at least the one we have in the store) is usually made with natural materials. Thus, favoring full perspiration of the foot.
Yes, we know that it is a little more expensive. But we think it is worth making a little effort. Because with these shoes we spend a large part of our day and it can affect our health.